/Thrilling 7-5 victory for Bantam A teamGreat season for PeeweesAtom AE’s head to playdownsAtom Select Storm takes on South MuskokaTykes battle BearsAtom A’s defeat Shelburne on Saturday

Thrilling 7-5 victory for Bantam A teamGreat season for PeeweesAtom AE’s head to playdownsAtom Select Storm takes on South MuskokaTykes battle BearsAtom A’s defeat Shelburne on Saturday

The Highland Storm Pepper Mill Steak and Pasta House Dollo’s Foodland Bantam A’s travelled down to Whitby this past Saturday facing a do-or-die situation against the Durham Crusaders in game 4 of this playoff match. Down two games to one in the best of five series the boys knew that they were going to have to give it their all.

The first two periods were full of end-to-end action with Storm goalie Ben Landry being rock solid and our defensive unit totally on their game. We came close on numerous opportunities but the game remained scoreless going into the third period . The Crusaders took the lead early in the third on a power play goal and even though the Storm controlled the game for much of that final frame they just couldn’t get on the score sheet. With just over a minute left in the game the Storm called a timeout and upon winning the ensuing face off they pulled Landry for the extra attacker and one last charge at tying the game. The final minute was very intense with the Storm swarming all over the Crusaders until with about 30 seconds left the puck landed perfectly on Brenden Coumbs’s stick in front of a wide open net. Coumbs made no mistake and scored the tying goal and sent the Storm fans into a frenzied cheer. The game went into overtime and with momentum and boisterous fan support behind them the Storm’s Tim Turner scored the winning goal to send the series into a fifth and deciding game on Sunday.

Unlike Saturday’s defensive battle Sunday’s game showed a lot more scoring with the Crusaders notching one 40 seconds in off the opening faceoff. Durham went up 2-0 shortly after and the Storm had to begin playing catch up. Tyson Clements put the Storm on the scoreboard and Hunter Arnott with some deft stick handling in front of the net tied the game at two. The see-saw battle continued with teams exchanging goals. Storm goals were by Sam Hoenow and Desi Davies however neither team was able to get that elusive insurance goal and the game was tied at four until Durham got a lucky break on a weak shot to take a 5-4 lead into the third period. The Storm coaching staff obviously performed some magic during intermission because our boys came out flying with three unanswered goals in the final period one by Zach Davis and a couple by captain Jackson Gill giving the Highland Storm a thrilling 7-5 victory and eliminating the Durham Crusaders in five games.

Submitted by Gord Hoenow

On Saturday Feb. 4 the JoAnne Sharpley’s Source for Sports Haliburton Family Medical Centre Peewees travelled to Whitby to take on the Durham Crusaders in game 4 of their playoffs. The Storm were looking for the win to take the series. The Crusaders scored first but less than a minute later Kyan Hall scored assisted by Sawyer Boutin and Austin Boylan to tie it up at one going into the second. The Crusaders scored again but Hall scored again to tie it back up assisted by Cooper Coles.

The score remained tied at two into the third period when the Crusaders took the lead again. Boylan scored assisted by Avery Degeer and Evan Armstrong to tie it up at three. Both teams giving everything they had putting shot after shot on net and Storm goalie Damon Harriss gave his team a chance to win.  The buzzer went and we were headed to overtime. Both teams came out strong and were giving it all but the Crusaders managed to score winning the game 4-3 and tying the series.

On Sunday the Crusaders came back to Haliburton for the do or die series win. Both teams playing to win were trying everything they could to get that first goal. The Crusaders scored two back to back quick goals at the end of the first to give them a 2-0 lead. The Crusaders scored another right at the start of the second to put them up 3-0. The Storm just kept trying and on a long pass from Armstrong Hall scored assisted by Armstrong and Keller to put the Storm on the board. The Storm kept the pressure on and Zander Upton scored assisted by Boutin to put them within one then not letting up Boylan scored to tie it up assisted by Gage Hutchinson going into the third. The third period saw a lot of back and forth action and goalie Harriss made some great saves again. The buzzer went and we were headed to overtime. The Storm tried everything they could but the Crusaders managed to get in the winning goal and take the series. Hold your heads high boys you all played great be proud of yourselves. To our coaching staff Tim Tom Scott Mike and Darlene thank you for a great season and to the parents grandparents and all the Peewee supporters thank you!

Submitted by Ron Hall

The GJ Burtch Construction Atom AE Storm played the Huntsville Otters on Feb. 3 at the A.J. LaRue Arena in Haliburton. The two teams were battling for the win in a tied game in the first round of playoffs. Both sides came out strong and ready for the fight. The first period was dominated by the Storm with many shots on net but were unable to get one past their goalie. It was Maclean Rowden that picked up the rebound shot and scored the first goal of the game. Unfortunately the Otters were hot on their heels and scored a goal of their own sending the game into another exciting overtime. The Storm players played hard and didn’t let up on the Otters. They kept the battle going until the Otters snuck a goal in ending the game in a 2-1 loss. They played a great series as a team and with excellent skill. Their season isn’t over yet. They are moving onto the playdowns with games yet to be determined.

Submitted by Lisa Reinwald

This past Friday the TD Bank and Pharmasave Atom Select Storm team headed to Gravenhurst to face the undefeated South Muskoka Bears Atom Select team.

The Storm found it hard to get the puck out of their own end during the first period. It took some time for the Storm to get used to the large offensive zones at the Gravenhurst arena. Early in the second Ethan Thomas broke away and scored the Storm’s first goal of the game. Next up was Lara Galant getting in on the action intercepting the puck on the forecheck and quickly putting it behind the Bears goalie. Eric Bird used his size to his advantage sneaking in behind the Bears’ defenders and put the puck behind their goalie. Assisted by Toby Posti and Haiden Bird. At the end of two periods it was 4-3 Bears. The start of the third saw Andy Lippolis spring Owen Sisson on a break to make it a tie game. It was a close battle which saw chances traded at either end. It was an excellent team effort by the Storm players however at the end of this game it would be 6-4 South Muskoka.

Next up the Storm host the Huntsville LL Select Atoms in Minden Saturday Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m.

LL Atoms shut out competition

On Saturday the LL TD Bank Atoms made the trip to Burks Falls to take on the Almaguin Ice Devils. On this day the Storm’s offence came alive. In their best team effort to date the team applied pressure to the Ice Devils early and often. Ethan Thomas opened the scoring on an unassisted effort and later had three more helpers throughout the game. Andy Lippolis scored three for his first hat trick of the season. Owen Sisson had two goals and an assist. Toby Posti got his goal when he let his power slap-shot go from the point. Not to be outdone Jacob Lloyd stopped every shot fired his way en route to his first shut out of the season.

Player of the game was Adam Davis. Adam’s hard work in his own end tying up Almaguin’s forwards in front of the net intercepting passes and getting the puck out of danger were some of the reasons the Storm were able to shut out Almaguin. Final 7-0

Next up the TD Atoms host South Muskoka Fitzmaurice in Haliburton Saturday before heading to Parry Sound on Sunday.

It was an exciting game between the Tom Prentice and Sons Trucking Tykes and the South Muskoka Bears on Saturday Feb. 3 in Bracebridge. Early in the first period Evan Perrott banked the puck off the boards to Jack Tomlinson who shot but the Bears’ goaltender made the save. However the rebound was put in the net by Jaxen Casey who was waiting out front. Minutes later Zach Prentice skated back and prevented a breakaway goal-scoring opportunity for the Bears. With a minute left in first the Bears scored two quick goals. Storm goaltender Carter Braun rallied back with a big save early in the second period. In the next few minutes Storm defenceman Matthew Scheffee and Prentice fought hard to keep it in the Bears’ end but no scoring was had. Next shift Perrott sent the pass to Tomlinson out front who scored to even out the game at 2-2. The Bears scored with under a minute left in the second. Perrott and Tomlinson side by side got by the Bears’ defence and Perrott put a shot on net and Tomlinson picked up the rebound to score. Still working off that momentum Perrott put it top shelf with the help of McCartney Saunders to stretch the lead. The Storm held the Bears off for the remaining minutes of play and took the game 4-3.

The Tykes hosted the Huntsville Otters on Feb. 4 in Haliburton. The Storm showed its home crowd what great team players they are. Jaxen Casey opened up the scoring with a backhand goal assisted by McCartney Saunders and Easton Burk. Fighting back an Otters player came in on a breakaway but put it over the net. Mason Latanville carried the puck up the right side and beat the goalie going top shelf. Storm goaltender Carter Braun was busy pulling off some big saves to keep the Storm up 2-0 at the end of the first. Most of the second period went by scoreless. Defenceman Ethan DeCarlo repeatedly prevented the Otters players from reaching Braun. With 57 seconds left Jack Tomlinson slid Vanek Logan’s rebound off a pass from Zach Prentice into the net. In the third Burk passed to Saunders who then got it out front to Casey for another goal. Minutes later the Otter goalie saved Logan’s initial shot but gave up the rebound and he put it in the net. Assists go to Tomlinson and Luke Gruppe. Matthew Scheffee got the puck onto Evan Perrott’s stick and from behind the net Perrott bounced it off the back of the goalie to score. Unassisted Saunders got his second goal of the game. With just under two minutes left in the game the Otters scored but the Storm took the game 7-1. The Tykes travel to Parry Sound on Feb. 10 to face the Parry Sound Shamrocks.

Submitted by Jessica Tomlinson

The Cottage Country Building Supplies/Ridgewood Ford Highland Storm Atom A’s travelled to the Shelburne Arena to face the Shelburne Wolves for game 1 of round two of the playoffs on Saturday Feb. 3.

The first period started with Cheyenne Degeer skating off the boards spinning and passing it to Brechin Johnson out front who made no mistake. Goes high on the back hand and in. However the Shelburne Wolves scored right after and the score was 1-1 going into the second. The second began with Johnston to Addison Carr at the red line. Carr went on a breakaway and scored on a hard shot glove side. Shelburne scored two minutes later. Next Johnson scored out front on a pass from Degeer. Then Joshua received a pass from Degeer on a scramble in front after a rebound and scored.

Next Carr scored on a rebound after Kadin Card hit the post. Then Shelburne scored right after. However Scheffe carried the puck and passed it out to Johnson who got it and flicked it top cheese and the score was 6-3 going into the third. The third started with Prentice passing to Latanville who passed to Carr and Carr won a foot race deked and scored. Then Prentice clears it to Johnson who drove to the net and scored high glove side. But unfortunately Shelburne received a penalty shot and scored and then Shelburne scored again before the period ended. But the Highland Storm pulled off a 8-5 win of this first second-round playoff game.

Please come cheer on the team on Sunday Feb. 11 at 2 p.m. at the S.G Nesbitt Arena for game 2 versus the Shelburne Wolves.

Submitted by Amber Card